Thursday 8 November 2012

Pitch: My Screenplay is About X and is Amazing Because of Z


Everybody knows that showbiz is all about luck. This time I do intend to produce an axiom, but I will moderate it: showbiz is about luck and you make your own luck – don't you?
Showbiz is not a meritocracy and fantastic writers, directors, actors, etc., graft away unrecognised and unrewarded because they have not had their stroke of luck, have not met the right people to spot, support, and guide them. So how do you get knowledge of your talent out there? The request to be given an opportunity to prove that you deserve the job, the call for help in realising the play lying unbound and dispersed across your desk, the word-of-mouth advertising of your short film – all that needs to be heard, supported, communicated, and celebrated. So what's a would-be actor, an up-an-coming writer, a small producer with big dreams to do? Quite simply, they go to First Monday drinks, advertised as 'networking for creatives'. I went for the first time back in September, having heard about it from a friend. This friend was then absolutely required to come and be there (before me) to be my leaning-post as I was overcome with terror at the thought of meeting new people – surely they were going to be glamorous and fabulous and guarded and secretive about doing well at what you love? Yes to the first two – wonderfully, fantastically so – and so very, very no to the second two. They are incredibly supportive, eager to help, and generous to a fault in the sheer amount of advice they offer. There are balloon artists, photographers, screenwriters, actors, and all manner of diverse and creative souls.
This Monday last, Monday 5th November, was the most recent event. As is evident in the title, this happens on the first Monday of every month and all gather at the Coach and Horses pub at 1 Great Malborough Street, near Oxford Circus. It starts at 6.30pm and can go on until the pub shuts. Upon entering you'll be greeted by the very lovely Phil Lawrence, who having discovered the direction of your artistic yearnings, will immediately introduce you to the people already there most able to give you advice. He did this for me and I am deeply indebted to him for it. The wisdom received is invaluable and I hope I can be as useful to others some day.
I have met intriguing people (maybe I'll sketch a profile for you some time – or you can come along and meet them yourself) and heard all about their projects, be it new plays, playwriting societies, or comedy venues. I hope I can help by attending or even assisting.
You make your own luck when you are brave enough to put yourself and your dreams out there and to support each other mutually.
You can find First Monday drinks on Facebook. Or on Twitter at @First_Mondays. Or supporting each others' actvities. at the Coach and Horses on the first Monday of next month. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment